Sunday, April 21, 2013

Waiting for Mr. Right

I haven't written a post in awhile but I had some down time today which always allows me to think which normally leads me to write a post, so here it is.

Lately I've been going to quite a few weddings. I feel blessed and honored to be invited but it makes me wonder why haven't I found Mr. Right for me. I'm not saying I want to be getting ready to marry someone right away but why have I not at least started down the trail. It almost makes me feel like I'm driving on a highway in the middle of nowhere and I pass a sign that says Mr. Right 2000 miles ahead. I don't mean to complain while writing this but it allowed me to think about what I'm hoping to find and what can I do to try and find it.

The nice thing about the internet is the fact that you can search anything, I would just suggest being careful as to how you phrase things. Anyway I decided to search how to make a guy like you. Turns out there are quite a few ways to make that happen, not all of which I was willing to try. There were suggestions such as; dress to impress, be yourself, make good eye contact. They are all valid but they're also common sense. If there's someone you really like you're not going to dress in your oldest clothing, you wouldn't even do that if you didn't like someone. Eye contact is a must to make any conversation flow and make you seem interested.

Being yourself however is one that we can often get stuck on. It makes you really think who am I? Society today tries to mold us into who we think we should be or in this case who we should be to find our Mister Rights. It can be hard to withstand the pressure and not fall into thinking that we're not good enough because we aren't who society tells us to be. Recently I was able to watch a commerical made by Dove that really inspired me. It's a simple commercial with such a great message. I'll attach the link to this post so feel free to watch.

Women are brought into a room with a forensic sketch artist who can't see them and the women are told to describe themselves to this artist. He draws the picture and tells them to leave without seeing them. After he finished all of the initial pictures the women are brought in again and told to describe another woman who they were sitting in the room with and he drew their picture on the same paper. They are then brought around to see both pictures.

When the women look at the picture they described of themselves they all look sad and unattractive because they described themselves so poorly. The picture described by the other woman however is beautiful. We are often our hardest critics and yet we can't understand why we can't find Mister Right.

The old saying you have to love yourself before someone else can love you is really true. I know I struggle with it and I probably always will. I'm working on it though. The greatest thing is that we don't have to struggle alone in any of this. We have our amazing awesome God. He created us in his image and made us to be who we are and he loves us. Like that commercial when we see ourselves looking ugly and sad he sees us in the way the other woman does, beautiful and happy. So full of life and as we go down the path he has planned for us we will find who we are supposed to be with. So while it may be hard at times to find that person and we may feel alone we never are. We have God the greatest love we can ever have.

There are times I've thought of settling, just finding someone who I could stand to be with but then what's the point. If I say that I'm in love with Jesus Christ and I love him then when I was saying I was in love with Mr. Not-so-Right it would almost be as if I was belittling my love for Christ. In the English language we only have one word for love and though Christ will always be my first love and who I love the most I don't even want to venture to use the word love for someone I don't feel that way for.

I know this is a long post, full of rambling but this is just a hard topic for me to talk about. I hope that you enjoyed it and feel free to comment. This life is a journey, at times full of excitement, struggle but always full of love if you believe.

Peace and Love

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/15/doves-real-beauty-sketches-ad-campaign-video_n_3088071.html

No comments:

Post a Comment