Sunday, April 28, 2013

What is Next?

I've learned that when you graduate college, live at home with your parents, and work multiple part time jobs you get asked quite a few times what's the next step? Are you going back to school? Are you going to get a new job? My favorite though comes from my grandfather and that's; How's your love life?  In response to my grandfather... nothing, the same answer I've given him since I was 7 and that question was asked. Actually when I think about it my answer to most questions would really be I don't know. I'm not quite sure why people think that I would know. I'm in my early twenties, I graduated with a degree I need to go to grad school for and I really enjoy one of my jobs. To be honest, most of the time I'm content with my life.

The question I have for these people who ask me questions though is, Is content what I should want? I mean as much as I tease my parents I don't want to live with them forever. They're nice people and all but there comes a time when it's time to move on. Then however it comes down to how do I move out. I love my job but there's no way I can afford to move out with the job I have. So then what do I do? Quit my job? Mainly I've just learned that the 20s are full of more questions than answers.

Side-note for a minute. When I was younger there was a poem by Shel Silverstein that I loved. It was called Whatif. I'll attach the link at the bottom but really is was just about a kid laying in bed and having a lot of whatif questions run through their head. At times I feel that way, there are so many questions running through my head when will they stop. The end of the poem finishes "Everything seems to swell and then, the nightime whatifs stike again!" I'm sure many of you at a crossroads in your life have felt this. The great news that I have to offer is not that you will never have them again, or all of the answers will come quickly and easily, the great news is we're not alone!

When the nighttime whatifs strike we get to pray to a God who will listen, we just often seem to forget this. We think that we can handle it. Just last week we might have failed and had a problem after trying this but that won't happen this time. Nope we will get it figured out on our own this time. I have to say for having a book written for us to help us through life and a God who wants to be active and help us through our lives we really don't take full advantage of the awesomeness that is! Luckily God is all for happy little reminders.

Currently I'm training for a bike race. I've been trying to ride 10 or more miles a day and so far it hasn't been too bad. When I get halfway through I love to stop at this place along the river. I've been a water fan my whole life so it's a great place where I can reflect and catch my breath. Today I came along that spot and decided to have a little one on one time with God. I listen to music while I ride so I have my iphone with me and of course I have the bible app. They have that verse a day part that shows up right when you click on it and the verse was from 1 John and it read " This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all[b] sin."

You know those times when you feel like someone is trying to tell you something and though you hear it you choose to ignore it and then they get in your face and scream at you while shaking your head and then you finally get it? Then you look at them and you're like kind of waiting for them to just yell DUH!!! but they respectfully just smile and welcome you back. That's kind of how I felt. See God has been trying to tell me this and I think I kind of pulled away for awhile but this was the verse that I needed. Also the song Stand by Rascal Flatts was playing and it was just adding to it. I just kind of sat there staring at the river getting chills and thinking alright God. This may reminder 108432523908412 that you've given me to remind me that you're here but thank you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment