Saturday, February 18, 2012

At the end of the road...

So today as I was driving to the gym, on a road I pass many times I saw that they had changed a sign I had seen all of my life on that road. The sign now says something to the effect of God is always there for you. Don't get me wrong that's a great message and very comforting to see. However it got me to thinking about what the old sign had said. A very simple sign that simply read "at the end of the road you will meet God" Now I remember driving past that sign when I was a kid and reading it and getting so excited. Every time we passed a side street I asked my mom, "Is this the end of the road?" My mom not understanding kept saying "No" and after me asking quite a few times questioned why I wanted to know where the end of the road was so bad. In extreme excitement and anticipation I exclaimed "at the end of the road you will meet God and I just want to make sure that I don't miss it!"
Now I can imagine my Mom's surprise at this as well as the idea that she then had to explain to me that I wasn't actually going to meet God today. That actually meant when I died I would meet God. I remember being a little upset, I had been so excited and here that meant that I wasn't going to meet God. I may have even told her they should change the sign so no one else would be confused.
Today though I realized I have changed from that child I had been. I no longer think that way. Sometimes I wonder in fact if I would really be as excited if I saw that sign now and thought the same thing. Would I have that childlike faith of wanting to see God, asking every few moments if we were at the end of the road. While I know God wants us to enjoy our lives here on earth and soak up everything we can I know he wants us to be excited to get to him and see who he truly is, and worship at his feet.
I'm going to try to live my life in the balance between the two now. Part of me wanting "to get to the end of the road" to meet my God and savior and the other part of me enjoying every second I have on earth. Trying to live my life the way that God intended that to be, regardless of what it is. It may not be easy but with a God like I have nothing is impossible!

No comments:

Post a Comment